From time to time we get hautboys aka baroque oboes, traversos aka one-keyed wooden flutes, early clarinets, shawms, cornemuses, and krumhorns on consignment. Like our recorders, they are sold with a 7-day trial-period return policy. You only keep the instruments you like! If you'd like more information on the instruments and makers and other musical matters, here are some links to the relevant Yahoo users groups:
HautboyResearch v EarlyClarinet v EarlyFlute and another excellent website for double reeds: Robert Cronin Shawms, Large Oboes and Bassoons
Steinkopf||Bass||440||Maple||Two||Single/Double||Rackett||Used - Instrument in excellent condition! Needs staple & reed.||$NLA||
Steinkopf||Soprano/Alto||440||Maple||Two||Single||Rackett||Used - Instrument in excellent condition! Needs staple & reed.||$NLA||
|Christopher Monk/ Jeremy West||
Curved Cornett||Alto in G||440||Leather-Covered Resin||One + Mouthpiece||Single||Cornetto||Used - Instrument in mint condition!||$450||
How to Play Cornett||175 pp. plus fingering chart||NA||NA||NA||NA||Cornetto||Used - As New condition! Complete book with many examples and excercises!||$49||
Stanesby||Traverso||440||Plastic||Four w/key||Single||Traverso||Used - Instrument in mint condition! Very inexpensive way to start playing traverso/baroque flute.||$349||SOLD! 12/25/2011 to the gentleman in Leiden|
Renaissance||Tenor Straight Crumhorn||440||Maple||Two (plus 1 cane reed included)||Single||Renaissance||Used - Instrument in mint condition! Has cylindrical bore and tone like crumhorn, but no curve!||NLA||SOLD! 11/13/2011 to the gentleman in Austin|
Renaissance||Alto Cornemuse||440||Maple||Two||Single||Renaissance||Used - Instrument in very good condition with excellent reed included.||NLA||SOLD! 10/05/2011 to the gentleman in Brazil|
Renaissance||Contrabass Rackett||440||Maple||Two (plus 2 reeds included)||Single||Rackett||Used - Instrument in very good condition with one crack at the base which doesn't affect the tone or intonation||NLA||SOLD! 5/26/2010 to the gentleman in Australia|
Denner||Baroque Oboe or Hautboy||415||Plumwood||Three (plus 3 reeds and two extra staples included)||Single/Double||Saxon||
Used - Instrument re-reamed and tuned by Sand Dalton in 2005. Sand also
made the five staples included.
Dan Noonan was formerly an apprentice to Harry Vas Dias in Geogia. Includes soft case and two reed boxes.
||SOLD! 4/6/2010 to the lady in Wisconsin|
|Alto in g||440||Stained Bigleaf Maple||Three (plus 2 reeds and reamer included)||Single||Shawm (Alto in g)||New (no waiting for 1-2 years!) - This shawm based on museum originals. The bore and tone-holes have been carefully modified to produce an instrument of exceptionally good response and intonation. The fan-shaped reed projects from a pirouette, and the single key is covered by a fontanelle. The range is two octaves, G3 to G5. This shawm, with its loud and exciting sound, is immensely satisfying to play in the shawm band.||$1550||SOLD! 11/11/2007 to the lady in Chicago|
|Alain Weemaels||G. A. Rottenburgh||Traverso||415||European Boxwood and silver key||Four||Single||Traverso||Both Bart Kuijken and Wilbert Hazelzet use traversos by Alain Weemaels! New Instrument with soft case and maintenance kit. Avoid his waiting list of 6-12 months and have your instrument immediately!||$1075||SOLD! 8/17/2007|
|Phil and Gayle Neuman||
Used Cornamuse Consort
||Soprano, Alto, and Tenor||440||Yew or Poplar||One plus reed & wind cap||Single||Renaissance||See Comments 2)||$1350||SOLD! 5/22/2006|
|Deazzi Pellegrin, Venezia||
Early Romantic |
|A corps de rechange on Bb stock||TBD||Boxwood with Ivory mountings||Six||Single||Classical||
large file size of photo to show details and markings)|
See Comments 1)
|N/A||SOLD to the dealer in Paris 9/25/2005|
|Stephen Hammer & Jonathan Bosworth||
||Baroque Oboe or Hautboy||415||European Boxwood||Three||Double||Saxon||See Comments 3)||$1800||SOLD to former modern oboist 4/16/2005|
|Italian c. 1925||
||Bb Clarinet||440||Rosewood||Four||13 Keys||Albert System w/patent C# key||See Comments 4)||N/A||SOLD to Balkan musician 4/22/2004|
||Traverso||450+||European Boxwood w/Ivory mountings and brass key||Four||Single||Hotteterre||See Comments 5)||N/A||SOLD to traverso maker from Japan 9/15/2002|
1) Original classical/early romantic clarinet. Now plays as "A" clarinet because only the "A" corps de rechange is present. Other joints marked "B" indicating a Bb model. The barrel is marked "London Key" and is contemporary but not original, as is the ebony mouthpiece. Currently a few keys need to be re-sprung, but otherwise in excellent shape. Boxwood is remarkably straight for an instrument this old!
2) Used Cornamuse Set - These instruments are similar to krumhorns, but are quieter, enabling them to play with recorders. The soprano cornamuse is the same pitch as the tenor recorder, the alto the same as the bass recorder, and the tenor the same as the great bass. These cornemuses do not have keys, therefore they are limited to a range of a ninth. They can play most of the parts in renaissance krumhorn compilations and medieval duets.
3) Used baroque oboe formerly played by professional baroque oboist Stephen Hammer. Two new reeds from Stephen Hammer, two new reeds from Sand Dalton and four staples by Sand Dalton. Slight crack in upper joint repaired and small chip on bell ring. Keys work perfectly. Professional quality at a moderate price!
4) Used - All original pieces except for mouthpiece. Fitted with Van Doren B40 mouthpiece and soft ligature. All keys repadded and resprung. Perfect for traditional jazz, Klezmer or other ethnic.
5) Original traverso bought from an antiques dealer and restored by Herb Myers. New artificial ivory end cap and ring mountings, cleaned, oiled, re-wrapped. New spring and leather pad for original brass key.
|Address:||Charles Fischer/Unicorn Music 2324 Linden Hill Dr. Bloomington, IN 47401|